The Fell Clutch of Circumstance

A blog detailing a road trip by two brothers from Seattle to Albuquerque. There will be beer!

Monday, June 29, 2009

The $1 Burger is a Loss Leader



At least, that's my guess - they get you in the door so they can make money on you buying stuff like soda (want some water with your corn syrup?) and fries (potatoes with your sodium?). So that's the explanation - which has absolutely no bearing on my opinion of the food. Maybe once a year I get a craving for McD's or BK, then when I'm done I feel awful and totally regret it. They really should get into a marketing deal with the Catholic Church - "Working hard to make you feel bad about yourself like never before! Over 1 bazillion served and/or tortured."

When I traveled cross-country with Robin, we made a commitment to each other to only eat greasy fast food once and successfully kept it (eating at the World's Largest McDonald's in Oklahoma). That was a 3000-mile, 5-day journey. This trip is just over half that, so I think we can ban it from the options. As long as Subway and Jimmy John's are on the table, we should be fine. Not that those are absolutely terrific, but at least they don't make me want to vomit.

You call that "tight" in the Volvo? You should have seen our Accord on previous trips - of course, that has probably half the cabin space. Seeing out the back is a good goal, but with decently aligned side mirrors, all you have to do is pay close attention and you're in pretty good shape.

Good call on the snacks. Yes, none of that sugar-free crap! I'll try to fit some in the ridiculously small backpack I'm bringing, but it's good to know you've got a few. I'm always big on gas-station standby's like the "Chipwich" (vanilla ice cream wedged inside two chocolate chip cookies) and Oatmeal Creme Pies. (This from a guy who just dissed McD's as unhealthy.) I hope we at least get a chance to stop at one of these lovely establishments:



What was your old formula for staying awake on the road? Skor bars and Jolt?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home