The Fell Clutch of Circumstance

A blog detailing a road trip by two brothers from Seattle to Albuquerque. There will be beer!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hip to Be Square was their Costanza Moment

And I'm not talking about the time he stood up to Steinbrenner. Yeah, that song was pretty much the end for "The News" - and for them ever being IN the news again. It was like when George started wearing jogging pants around town. It signaled to the world, "I give up!" I mean, dude, you are certainly entitled to your opinion that it's "Hip to be Square", but when you sing a song about it, never mind using terms that were about a decade old, you're finished. 'Nuff said.

But about the game, you said originally that we were scoring our own history with bands that "in retrospect, were clearly crap bands". But now you're saying that figuring out which ones were crap is part of the game? I don't get it. I guess I'm thinking that I just have a "bigger tent" for my musical tastes and it's highly likely that there will be many, many artists that you think were totally worthless and I figure were decent in one way or another.

Your post brought up another potential game, though - pick an artist and debate their worst and best song. And don't worry about which members of which bands have different talents - I can let you know who could do what (in terms of what instruments they play), and then you can still have your opinion about how you would put the band together.



Besides, after all this, are we really going to need much more to talk about other than how the Yankees no longer have any home field advantage? Followed by a series of high-fives?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home